History of the Lafayette Girl Scouts
This page was last updated: July 15, 2013
Girl Scouts of Northern California
LAFAYETTE SERVICE UNIT
2009 Jay, a longtime volunteer at Diablo Day Camp spearheaded a campaign to plant a Bay, Toyon, Buckeye, Maple, and Oak tree at the camp to acknowledge the units in Junior Canyon. Suprisingly, some of these trees have never grown at camp before this year!
2008 Due to Council realignment, we change from the Lafayette Association to the Lafayette Service Unit. The Lafayette Coordinating Team, those volunteers that run leader meetings, maintain the website and other communications, support leaders, and other activities too numerous to name, become the Lafayette Coordinating Team (formally ACT). We serve 939 girls in 63 troops. These girls and families contributed over $10,000 to the Family Partnership program.
2007Girl Scouts Bay Area joins with four other Councils (Napa-Solano, Konocti, Santa Clara County, and Sierra Cascade) to form the Girl Scouts of Northern California. 55,000 girls in 19 Counties are part of the new Council! 2003Over 29,000 girls are active and registered with the Girl Scouts of the San Francisco Bay Area. Nearly 14,000 adults are registered and active in serving these girls in their troops and camps. 1978Buckeye Ranch, 35 acres of the 65 acre Twin Canyon camp, was sold ($1000 per acre) to East Bay Regional Park District after it was deterined that the property was too steep and hilly for GS camping use.. It had been used for the Diablo Day Camp’s horse program. The Buckeye Ranch property was previously purchased by a developer but it never passed a percolation test. Part of this property is still used by the Diablo Day Camp for an archery range and a small portion is the site of the GSNC Site Manager’s home.
The money earned from the sale was dedicated for future use at the camp. A master plan was developed with priority being given to improvement of bathroom facilities. A second priority was to obtain plans for building an all year building.
1963Diablo Valley Area Girl Scout Council is consolidated into the San Francisco Bay Girl Scout Council. 1961Council publishes Heritage Hikes. 19604084 girls are active and registered with the Diablo Valley Area Girl Scout Council. 1567 adults are registered and active in serving these girls in their troops and camps. 1957Casita Castana, in Lafayette, is purchased for use as the Girl Scout office. Again, Cookie and Calendar sale profits are used for the purchase and payments (This property is paid off by 1965). 1954Camp Twin Canyon, a 65 acre site in Lafayette, is purchased for the Council’s Day Camp, day hiking, and troop camping. The Council purchases the property free and clear through a special fund drive and Cookie and Calendar sale profits. 1949Camp Sierra Woodlands is acquired near Sierra City, California. It is open for two 2 week sessions for 60 girls each session. This land is rented from the state. Profits from Cookie and Calendar sales help to develop the site. 1947Name of the Council is changed to Diablo Valley Area Girl Scout Council, Inc. The Council now serves 1375 girls and the office is moved to Mt. Diablo Blvd in Lafayette. 1945The Walnut Creek Council has 50 voting members and serves 550 girls in 33 troops. The Council is chartered to serve Alamo, Danville, Walnut Creek, Lafayette, Orinda and Pleasant Hill, with an office located on Main Street in Walnut Creek. 1944Girl Scouts U.S.A. grants a charter in the name of the Walnut Creek Council of Girl Scouts. 1940Three active troops are formed in Pleasant Hill 1934Walnut Creek PTA sponsors the first troop of 30 girls. This troop registered with Girl Scouts U.S.A. through the Berkeley Council.